Bill,

While I would not advocate the same solution for everyone, it sounds like
you have a solution that works for you.  Do be aware that the +8 volt supply
has its limitations too, and I would not want to venture any guess about how
much current you can draw from it before a problem would be seen.

I will stick to my previous rant that each accessory should include powering
provisions for itself with the input power derived from a stiff, dependable
source such as a +12 volt supply.  It is presumptious of a designer or
manufacturer to assume that any transceiver will provide power for any and
all accessories (unless made specifically for a given transceiver where the
accessory powering capabilities are known and have been tested).

73,
Don W3FPR