Fraser Robertson wrote:

Interesting Earl, the non exhaustive tests I've done indicate that it is not due to magnetic fields. But if indeed that is the case, there must be a relatively easy, if perhaps not elegant, way of significantly improving this.

Has anyone else investigated this?

I have an Alpha 86 which is about 3 feet from my K2. I have performed tests in which someone listened to my signal at 100 watts and 1.3 KW without noticing any difference in quality. I'd be glad to sked Earl or anyone else who wants to try this (unfortunately I am in the process of working on my 160/80 meter antennas, so it would have to be 40 meters or higher).

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco