Michael,

You probably read that statement coming from me since I have posted it
frequently.

Even on a 'quiet' 10 meter band there is the liklyhood that there is still
some atmospheric noise.  Try doing it with the antenna disconnected (so all
the noise is actual receiver internal noise).  I believe you will find the
proper setting a bit higher than you have right now.

Yes, I have found some variability from K2 to K2 (which I attribute to
internal gain variability), and also variability depending on the bandwidth.
I normally use a CW filter set for a bandwidth of 0.70 for this adjustment
and it works well for me - and usually produces a AGC Threshold pot setting
of close to 3.7 volts (+/- 0.05 volts).

73,
Don W3FPR