Gerhard,

There could be a problem, or there may be no problem at all.  What is the
audio source and  level that you are driving into the mic jack?  If it is
not a pure sine wave or the level is too high, it will have harmonics or (if
too high a level) can cause harmonics if the balanced modulator is being
overdriven.  Sorry, but there is just not enough information in your note to
allow me to venture even a guess.

In any case, harmonics of the modulating audio are not any indication of
frequency modulation - frequency modulation would cause a variation in the
frequency of the carrier plus/minus the modulating frequency.

73,
Don W3FPR