Steve,
I started with a straight key. In 1957, I think MOST hams used straight
keys. Most emerging novices couldn't afford more than a surplus J-38 and
there were only a few bugs available. Electronic keyers didn't clean up CW.
The percentage of bad fists on the air then with straight keys was about the
same as it is today with electronic keyers. They just offer different
opportunities to mangle the code.

I agree with Don that a straight key trains you to learn and appreciate
proper spacing if you have someone who can give you feedback. But I don't
necessarily agree that you should start there. Try them all. Find out what
suits you. They are all fun. But get someone to help you with the timing.

My main advice to anyone is to SLOW DOWN. Most of the bad fists with keyers
are because the dots are cranked up to 35 wpm and they are still struggling
to copy 15. There is a nameless ham on one of the several cw nets I am on
who has NEVER sent my call properly. His only consistency is a self standing
dah followed by a string of 7 dits for the 6 in my call. The rest of it is
so mangled I only know its for me is that I was the last one to send
something.

As for iambic vs non-iambic, I never saw the point of iambic. Any efficiency
from saving 2 microcalories in a 24 hour period somehow escapes me. But
let's not start that one again.

So I only have three pieces of advice. Use whatever key appeals to you.
Don't send faster than you can receive. The second marriage is the best one,
so get the first one out of the way.

Eric
KE6US