From: Sergej Kindsvater DF6MU [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 4:54 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] kx1 hotel qrv best antenna suggestion

hey KX1 users out there: what would be the ultimate hotel room antenna
(that can be accomodated in laptop bag)? maybe a loop of some kind?

I am always flabbergasted by the reports from kx1 users as to what
everything they are able to achieve when using kx1 with a random wire,
working from a park bench or similar...

I have completed my kx1 something like a half a year ago and being a
frequent traveller I am since taking it with me on every business trip.
Till today not a single qso with a random wire out of a hotel room.

I am currently in Yugoslavia. This time an old hotel, no beton walls, no
BPL, fourth floor (Hotel Moskva in Belgrade), 10 meter long wire out of
the window facing the Balkanska Ulic, two same length  wires serve
counterpose in the room- and my first qso with this setup, wkd UR5IF,
qrb abt 1500 kms, not bad! Mike himslef has been running inly 5W into a
LW.

One other thing: when I am usisng an indoor antenna and a switching
power supply,  that worked well for FT817, I am getting three S units
more noise, ferrite rings won't help. Thought maybe I should use those
12v 3300 mAh NiMh Racing battery packs people use for the plane models.
Any opinion? Any airport security experience?

many thanks

Sergej DF6MU

PS KX1 is good thing to brag about: recently in Tel Aviv I happened to
have a breakfast at a hotel beside two hams from Ohio also on business
there, heard them talking, engaged in a conversation and impressed  them
while having produced my Kx1 in a Pelicase 1060 out of my laptop bag
right there!