When I started out as a Novice in 1964, I was advised to start with a straight
key.  When I could send well at about 15 wpm, then consider changing over to
some kind of speed key.  We didn't have iambics then.  I switched to homebrew
solid state keyer, that I built myself, and a Vibroplex paddle, which I still
have.  I now use an Idiom Press Super Keyer II, and an iambic paddle.  I may
not send the greatest code in the world, I'm still learning, but I'm glad that
I followed my Elmer's advice.

    73,

    Steve Brandt N7VS ex: WB6VVS, WN6QYP