Remove nothing until just before putting the front panel on the PC board -
then carefully remove the thin plastic film that protects the LCD.  Scrape
up a corner with a fingernail - or if you must use a sharp instrument, take
care not to damage the harder plastic (glasslike) surface under the thin
plastic film.

73,
Don W3FPR