One of the problems with designing and selling kits is the production volume. Will enough of the kits be sold to justify the cost of developing the product. I don't know if there is enough demand in amateur radio to justify the development cost of a spectrum analyzer.

Let me state the design specifications of a hypothetical high-performance HF-VHF spectrum analyzer that could be developed as a kit that would retail for $500. To keep the cost down, the analyzer would use a PC for control and display; the control of the RF portion would be done through a USB interface. The parts to do this design are available today - no great invention is required.

Specifications
Frequency coverage:  100 kHz to 160 MHz
Resolution bandwidth: 100 kHz to 1 Hz
Video bandwidth: 10 kHz to <1 Hz
Dynamic range:  >80 dB
Power measurement error: <1 dB
Maximum sweep speed:  10 MHz/second
Maximum input power: +20 dBm
Input noise figure: <20 dB
Windows software included for control, display, printing and saving data; user supplies the PC.

Option for $150
Tracking generator to make instrument into scalar network analyzer

It would take about a person-year of effort to design the hardware, write the software, and create manuals. However, I think you would only sell about a hundred units per year. That makes the development cost too high to justify the effort.

-John
KI6WX

Gang,
One of the insturments I always wanted for home use was a spectrum analyzer. Nice to have sound card analyzers with software and all, but a real rf analyzer in a small, functional package would be sooooo great. With some careful trade off decisions it might even be affordable! The display is a big headache if you don't have a good Oscope handy but a creative designer [or two] might be able to do the job. I suppose it would not have the broad appeal of a K1, 2 or even a very compact antenna tuner, but it might appeal to a few hundred hams and others who do bench work.
Wayne
K9NE
Yes, I know about the projects already on the web, but how many of you have actually rounded up all the stuff to build that one?