I get a very similar problem with my KX1, Lloyd, and it has put me off using it.

I can tune it up and it matches nicely, producing almost 4W output. Then unexpectedly while in the middle of a QSO the relays will start clattering and the power goes down to 1 to 2W.

I have rewound all my toroids and checked everything for dry joints and solder bridges, but the problem still persists. It doesn't happen every time I use it, but it is unreliable. Any pointers that anyone can give as to the possible cause will be much appreciated.

73 de David G4DMP

In a recent message, Lloyd Lachow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said....
 Lately, there have been a bunch of times when I
power my KX1 with a 12V supply, activate the tuner to
get a match, and the result is 4-5W and a good match.
Then, while operating, or just while it's sitting, not
being operated, I'll sometimes hear a few relays
chatter for a split second, and the match seems to
have been lost. When I transmit, I see that the power
out is down to 2W or so. I need to activate TUN again,
which will restore the match and the higher power out.