" are both junk..."

It's really unfortunate that with the ham marketplace so small, that folks feel the need to slam the few suppliers we have.

Certainly the Autek and MFJ units are not professional lab quality material. The good news is, neither are most of us. I've used both, and own the Autek, and find it one of the handiest tools I have at my bench. Yes, there's some things I would do better with BOTH units, but BOTH work fine for their intended purpose and both are affordable for the average ham.

There's things I'd change about both units (particularly the "customer service" at Autek. I asked if there was a download available for my lost manual, and they said "no, but we'll sell you a new one for $16..." For a 5 page manual...? I'll do without, thank you very much!) but they're indispensible tools at my bench.

Re:  "endless horror stories from many hams..."

For every one of those noisy stories, there's many times more satisfied customers. "Noisy" .NE. "correct" , in many cases.

73
John K5MO