Hi Fellow Elecrafters,

My K2's internal speaker is now alive and well.  I found the problem around
noon Saturday and I really felt like a big dummy.  I had it plugged onto P5 of
the control board instead of P5 on the RF board (behind the on/off switch).
And, I know how/why it happened.  So here is the run down.  As I stated in my
initial post, I had messed up one of the crimp pins for the plug.  And, also, I
had messed up the speaker wire and had to shorten it a bit and thought that I
was going to need more speaker wire (so it would reach) and a new crimp pin.
But, I was really in no hurry to get those items since I use headphones most of
the time.
Anyway, I proceeded to finish assembly and did not read any more about the
speaker installation.  I just jumped past anything concerning the speaker,
finished the rig and started making contacts.  Then, when I got my internal
battery option in on Friday and installed it, I discovered (amongst the mess on
my bench) that I had an extra crimp pin for the plug.  I rechecked all my
wiring for the internal speaker and external speaker jack (I did have all of
that done before I messed up the pin) and all was well.  So, I put the new pin
on and found that I was barely going to have enough wire to reach.  I glanced
at the manual and saw that P5 was where I was to plug onto.  I looked at my
wires, then glanced inside the rig for the closest two pin male plug, saw P5 on
the control board.  And, said to myself, "There's P5 and it looks like I have
just enough wire to reach it and it seems to be in perfect position for this
plug".  So, plug it on/in I did.  And, as you know, I had no audio.  I
rechecked my wiring again and still found it to be correct.  So, that is when I
checked the archives to see if anyone else had had the same problem and then
made my post to the group concerning the possibility of needing a new headphone
jack.
Anyway, I got started Saturday morning about 11:30 checking things out again,
rechecked wiring again, jiggled wires, checked to see if anything could be
shorting out etc etc.  Then, I started reading the manual for each step of the
speaker installation.  Everything seemed to be right, orientation of the
external speaker jack, copper wire here, other wire there, make sure of this or
that, plug to P5.  I kept going over it again and again.  I could not see that
I had done anything wrong.
Exasperated, I leaned back in my chair.  Thinking, "It has to be a bad "jack"."
 Then, I tried to "chill" for a few minutes.

Well, (after my chill pill) I started reading the manual again and once more
got to P5.  But, this time I saw/read where P5 was behind a switch.  I said to
myself, "What? There ain't no stinking switch anywhere around P5."  I "fume" a
little more and rock back in my chair, trying to "chill' again.  A few seconds
pass.  I read it again.  What?? Huh?? P5, RF board, behind on/off switch.  What
are they talking about?? P5 is on the Control Board.  I ought to know since I
have looked at and hooked to it a multitude of times trying to get this
stinking speaker to work.  I rock back in my chair again.  A few seconds pass.
I rock/lean forward and peer over the front panel and control board, "glaring"
down upon the RF board (bottom, right hand side) and something was "glaring"
back at me, another P5.  I plugged onto it and  the speaker worked.

The bottom line is this, "I developed "tunnel vision", so to speak.  And, was
"locked on" to the first P5 I saw, that "appeared" to meet the needs of the
speaker installation."  But, had I read and "digested" fully, what was written,
I would not have had this problem.  Or, taken up space on this reflector.  My
apologies go out to all.  And, hopefully, this post will maybe help someone
else not make the same mistake that I did.

All My Best,
Mike
KT2E
K2 4777