You may wish to install the IF Output Gain modification,
http://www.elecraft.com/K3/mods/IF_Output_Buffer_Gain_Mod_Rev_A.pdf. This
mod has already been installed if your rig was built after about September
2009.

It isn't essential, but you'll probably want to do this if you have a P3.
The mod replaces one resistor.

You'll need to connect to the K3's IF output, provided by the KXV3 or KXV3A
Rx Antenna, IF out, and Transverter interface option.

The KIO3 does not require any changes for the P3.

You can install the KXV3A yourself, and the IF Output Gain modification is
straightforward.  The SMD parts are quite small, and it's easy to lose track
of them.

Of course you can send your radio in if you'd prefer to have the mod
installed at the factory. It took me a few minutes with the SMD part, and
you'll want some magnification.  But it's just one resistor, and you can use
the leaded resistor if you prefer. The upgrade kit includes both a leaded
and SMD resistor.

73 de Dick, K6KR