John and all,

The best way to determine a radio's capability to retain settings or
alter its default behavior is to read the Menu Settings.  If you don't
have the latest manual, but you do have updated firmware, you will need
to download the latest manual from the Elecraft website.

In this particular case, enter the menu for CONFIG: NB SAVE and set it
to YES.  Since this is a per band setting you will have to do it for
each band that you wish to have the NB set to ON.

73,
Don W3FPR