Your problem sound a bit different. What was happening on quite a few earlier KPA100's was the diodes in the switching circuit were providing enough capacitance to cause a tuned circuit with RFC3 and that circuit would break into oscillation and modulate the carrier with a spurious signal. The resulting signal then had nasty sidebands and I used to get accused of "Splatter". It used to occur at powers above about 80w. mainly. The fix was to dampen RFC3 with a 1k resistor as well as a resistor change in the high voltage bias supply to make sure the HV supply didn't drop too low on demand. The changes are outlined in the "K2/100 Manual ( Appendix G) ERRATA" rev. C-3, December 14, 2004. ( steps 1 and 3 ) which is obtainable off the Elecraft Web site.
Hope this helps?
Cheers.......Ron ZL1TW

At 07:20 AM 4/24/2005 -0700, you wrote:
What are the symptoms of the oscillation? My KPA100 sometimes loses connectivity with the K2 and the communications between them is lost. Only fix is to power them both down. Don't know where to start looking for the problem. RFI?

-rob N7QT
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron ZL1TW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2005 4:15 AM
Subject: [Elecraft] Re: KPA100 question

Hi,
Just my 2c worth......in the days before the stray oscillation that occurred in *some* KPA100's was found and a fix presented, I was advised by Gary to try mounting my C83 on the *TOP* of the ends of the 1 and 3 "winding" of T2, and it is still there lying parallel with the PC board, so having it slightly off vertical in the suggested position shouldn't matter a fig I imagine.