I know there was an article on Seattle Robotics Society's web page. I'll see if I can find it. Thanks for waiting. Here is the URL http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200006/oven_art.htm In robotics we need to worry about our power consumption and about weight on board the robot. Much like QRP gear. Surface mount devices are a great way to save on both. They are also cheaper than through hole electronics. Even though my eyes are getting old and far sighted is not a good thing (as well as an astigmatism that is blinding) I find I can work with surface mount devices with out much difficulty. You need fairly steady hands and your normal size tip for soldering your Elecraft bits together. I do use a cake tin to keep from chasing after parts and for static discharge. As long as you stay away from coffee or Coke you're fine. The toaster oven just makes it easier to build one sided surface mount boards. Double sided boards get tricky because the parts keep melting off the down side ;)
   Hope this helps,
      Kevin.