Don’t assume that you have to replace the radio.  Several boards had to be
replaced (over $1600) in mine after an April strike, but the modularity of
the radio made it possible to repair it.  I wanted to keep the insurance
claim as low as I could as I had other damage, but I would have replaced the
radio if it were necessary.  René at Elecraft did a great job.

I had what I thought was a very good ground system, but it was a huge strike
and I hadn't disconnected.  (That was an expensive lesson!)

My K3 damage came from the RS232 as well, I think.  I have wireless
internet, a Motorola Canopy unit mounted then on my tower.  One of the
lightning paths was down the Ethernet line from the tower, through a
Motorola lightning arrestor on my grounding panel at the house entrance, and
to the computer router, which was damaged.  It zapped (technical term) my
computer's NIC and the 4-port ByteRunner serial card and continued on to the
radio, I think.  No damage came through the coax (two ICE arrestors).

I moved the internet unit off my tower and made other improvements,
including adding a Tripp-Lite DB9 surge protector (MOVs, I assume) at the
K3.  My new computer is connected to the router via RF instead of Ethernet
even though it's only a few feet away.

Jim N7US