Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 07:06:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bill W4ZV <btipp...@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: [Elecraft] P3 Reference Calibraton Error
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net

Brett Howard wrote:

> The center follows the K3 you can tell where it is based
on the fact
> that there is a K3 next to you.  So long as you've got the
two synced
> and don't have a center offset in you know where the
center is.

Correct.  I believe his confusion is thinking the P3 display
is controlling
the K3, but it's actually the other way around.

1.  First calibrate the K3 to WWV using the K3 Manual
procedure.  With a
good ear (or other methods) you can do this to <<1 Hz.  The
K3 should be
reading 15.000.000 with FINE resolution and you should hear
no beating or
change in pitch when switching between UCW and LCW.

2.  The P3's Center line tracks the K3 so P3 CF is exactly
indicating the
K3's frequency (15.000.000) even though the display is
rounded (i.e.
15.000.0).  So far we have not touched our P3 at all.

3.  Next calibrate the P3's spectrum display per the manual
procedure by
using Ref Cal to shift the spectrum display so that it
centers on the center
line.  Use the minimum SPAN (2.0 kHz) and adjust Ref Cal in
10 Hz steps
until the spectrum display is best aligned on the center
line.  I find this
easiest to do if you set SCALE = 10 and adjust REF LVL so
the signal peak is
mid-scale in the P3 display.  Adjust Ref Cal so the signal
shoulders are
symmetrical about the center, or as close to symmetrical as
possible, given
the 10 Hz adjustment resolution.

Potential sources of error are:

1.  Drift in K3 reference oscillator (49.38 MHz).
2.  Drift in P3 reference oscillator (60 MHz).
3.  Adjustment resolution of the P3's Ref Cal steps.
Adjustment steps are
10 Hz (at the P3's 60 MHz clock).  At WWV's 15 MHz (1/4 of
60 MHz), each
adjustment step is 1/4 of 10 Hz = 2.5 Hz, which results in a
maximum 1/2
step uncertainty (1.25 Hz) in adjustment resolution when
centering the P3
display.

The P3's adjustment error (e.g. 1.25 Hz at 15 MHz) is
accurate enough to
easily hit 50 Hz bandwidth filters when using the minimum
SPAN (even
assuming some reference oscillator drift).

There may be other minor rounding errors in the DSP but I'll
let the
nit-pickers argue over that.

73,  Bill