Hi Bill,
I found myself in very much the position you described.  I operate DX on CW
most of the time and sort of semi serious contesting but no skimmer or other
assistance.  So, with limited hobby funds available I had to decide, 2nd RX or
P3.  I argued that adding the visual dimension to a band is much more important
than a second RX at this stage.  I found in the past when I had 2 complete
contest stations running that the listening to one rig on the left and the
other on the right, or even switching between the 2  was fine but man is that
exhausting and would ware me out before long.  The stress on the sense of
hearing was just too much and VERY fatiguing..  I ordered my P3 middle July and
expect delivery towards end of Sep - - and am very excited.
The A/B and REV feature of the K3 is more than sufficient to work split pile
ups etc.
Remember that there is a requirement to have the KXV3A installed and also the
resistor swop on the main board.  I did both in preparation for the P3.  The
resistor swap was a bit tricky, but with a LOW wattage, very sharp tipped
soldering iron and a good magnifier, worked out fine.  I did not shatter the
existing resistor with side cutters to remove it.  Instead I used an Exacto
knife tip under one end of the resistor while heating and it let go, did the
other end and was left with 2 clean pads for receiving the new SM component.
To hold the replacement in position for soldering I used a 'third hand' and a
modified spring out of a ball pen.  I bent the spring so that it had a point
facing down, which held the new resistor in place for soldering.

Vidi - ZS1EL