Mike,

In answer to your question, you can tell whether there is modulation or
not by using the K3's Monitor function (the MON level must of course be
above zero for this to work).

As for the answer to the question you didn't ask, one possible explanation
for the lack of modulation is that your input level is set to zero. If you
are using DATA A mode and your sound card's output is connected to the
LINE IN jack, you can adjust the LINE level using the MIC gain control.
(If rotating this control adjusts the MIC level in DATA A mode, you can
correct this by setting MAIN:MIC SEL = LINE while the radio is in DATA A
mode. This will not affect the MIC SEL setting in voice modes.) A level
setting somewhere around LINE 10 should get some modulation into the
radio.

The way to set the correct levels for this control, together with the
sound card output level controls, is to set the K3's meter to read ALC and
adjust the levels until you get 4-5 bars of ALC reading while
transmitting. In PSK31, for the cleanest signal you should set the PWR
control to 50 watts or less (5 watts or less on a K3/10).

73,
Rich VE3KI