On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:50:58 -0500 (CDT), [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

>Two issues.  First, I noticed RF on 160m to 40m when using the
>microphones into the Rigblaster.

Most ham gear, including the K2, has what is known in the pro
audio world as a pin 1 problem at its mic and control inputs. I
don't know about the Rigblaster, but I would be surprised if it
doesn't also have the problem.

The RIGHT place to connect the shield of any cable is the chassis,
not the circuit board (often called "mic ground" or "control
ground"). See my website for applications notes about this.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

Also see AES48, an international standard that addresses this
issue, and includes a tutorial annex (that I helped write).

http://www.aes.org/publications/standards/courtesy.cfm?ID=44

I have fixed the pin 1 problems by doing three things. First, I
have added a short jumper between the mic jack and the chassis,
and extended it to the shell of the headphone jack. Second, I make
all of my shield connections to the shell of the mic connector.

Third, I've replaced the "stock" RS232 cable with shielded CAT5.
That shield, AND the returns of all the control lines, go to the
shell of the DB9 connectors at both ends (the computer end and the
K2 end), and NOT to pin 5. Before I made this change, my computer
would lock up at 10 watts. Now I can use the K2 drive my Titan at
1 kW with no problem.

Jim Brown  K9YC