Unfortunately, a lot of GUI email programs are broken in that way.  They
assumed because people in GUI environments treat newline as end of
paragraph, that was how internet email was supposed to work.

There are, however, newer standards, which try to give the best of both
worlds and clients that use them. Thunderbird may have its faults, but
it does wrap the actual send mail at about 72 characters.  It mains
paragraph wrapping in compatible readers by using a special header and
an associated convention that lines ending in space have soft newlines.
  I hope QTH.net gets this one right, even though it will reflow on a
compatible client.

--
David Woolley
"we do not overly restrict the subject matter on the list, and we