Aloha Pete:
  No, I use the internal K3 tuner and then that feeds into an MFJ 986.  this
seems to work out just fine, even when I am loading up all the rigging on the
boat.

For a ground you can never have enough...I strongly suggest visiting a "stained
glass" supply store.  They sell copper ribbon in various widths....the widest
normally being around 3/4 inch.  It is extremely thin, but remember rf travels
only on the skin of a conductor.
It is also sticky backed and it is around ten buck for a forty foot roll
instead of 50 dollars for the wide, thick stuff sold at west marine.

In the bilges of the boat, above the water and on the "tumble home" run three
strips of copper ribbon down each side of the boat...solder them together at
various points.  then cover them over with varnish,shellac, etc.

It is rather hard to hid a big ground wire running from the
 rig down into the bilges, however the ribbon is easily hidden.

Now, remember, the ribbon is a conductor, the boat is an insulator, and the sea
is a conductor....VOILA...condenser.  You have capacitive coupled into the
ocean.

Number TWO....do not cut the back stay and put in insulators...firstly, it is
impossible to adequately connect the copper wire to the stainless backstay.
Instead, run a sep. wire up to the top of the mast, with insulator at top, and
insulator just above head heighth on the bottom.  Use this as an antenna,.

A cut backstay is a future failure point.

No, the extra wire will not present problems because of all the rigging, heck
if used, the back stay would do the same thing.

If the back stay MUST be used...shine up the stainless steel, shine up the
copper wire and , wrap then together first having applied. WELDERS HIGH
TEMPERATURE COPPER WELDING PASTE.  It is transparent to rf and
 makes a really good connection between the back stay and the copper wire.
Then put onj a hose clamp, then two layers of electrical tape, and then COAT
WITH TWO COATS OF LIQUID ELECTRICAL TAPE.

You now have a bullet proof back stay connection that should last for years and
years, instead of the normal way with its need of redoing every couple of years.

I would look for a used Icom 718....really good starter rig, at a reasonable
price...and a plug and ply as far as pactor III, rtty, etc is concerned.  I
have used one for years...Now it is my backup as I have the K3

Susan

If you don't change direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're
headed!! Susan Meckley, Skipper W7KFI-mm  AFA9SM                         USSV
DHARMA