Hi,

Of course the factory default settings should be the starting point for
beginners or anybody else for that matter, and for the most part they are
reasonable. The only settings I found I had to change the first day I
operated my new radio were the AGC settings. The default slope of 012 caused
a strong signal to blast my ears and the default threshold of 05 makes the
radio way to lively ("noisy and hissy to quote a few people") on bands 20m
and lower. I set them both to their maximums and the radio is still too
lively on the lower bands for my liking. I wish for at least 6dB higher AGC
threshold to be available. Currently the only way to make the radio quieter
is using the RF gain control.

AB2TC - Knut