On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 04:12:25PM -0700 I heard the voice of
Ron D'Eau Claire, and lo! it spake thus:

> Often the "virus" looks through the e-mail addresses stored on the
> machine it has infected and chooses one at random to spoof as the
> originator.

Remember (or, well, learn for the first time if you're not a nerd),
the From: header in emails means exactly nothing as far as determining
where the mail came from.  It's purely cosmetic, and trivially
settable, as evinced by looking at the From: on this mail (hint: I'm
not actually Ron  :).

So the From: on a scam email doesn't mean anything other than
"whatever person or program sent this happened to see that email
address somewhere somehow, and decided to use it as the From:".  No
need for it to ever have been within a thousand miles of any system
actually associated with that person.  Of course, they often DO come
from either local infection of that person's system, or a system of a
correspondent of theirs that has the address sitting in their address
book just waiting to be harvested, but that's just a way of finding a
handy address to claim, not a requirement of any sort for sticking it
on the mail.

--
Matthew Fuller, N3TZJ
<n3...@n3tzj.org>