I can confirm - I observed the same thing while setting up the radio for
the contest on Friday and making a test QSO using the radio's memory
buttons. I had the LP-PAN and PowerSDR running, but no radio control
software. I called someone using the memory buttons by pressing M1
twice, and found the receiver was suddenly listening somewhere else. I
was able to recover quickly enough to complete the QSO. I chalked the
whole thing up to having unwittingly bumped a button or knob somewhere,
but in hindsight I can see that in as many details as I can remember,
which is nowhere near the level of detail in John's description, it did
appear to be exactly the same as John is reporting.

73,
Rich VE3KI
K3 #1595, F/W 4.12