There's a generalization I strongly disagree with. It is almost always more
expensive to build than to buy something of the same specification.
Heathkits, if I recall correctly, were never particularly cheap.

Ham radio, for me, is not just about operating. If I want to make contact
with people around the world, I can use the Internet.

I build for the enjoyment of it, and because to make radio contacts using
something I have built myself feels like more of an achievement than making
contacts using a shop-bought radio. The fact that I have got bored with
every commercial radio I have ever owned, while my K2 is still here, is the
proof of it.

73,

Julian, G4ILO (K2 #392)
G4ILO's Shack: http://www.tech-pro.net/g4ilo

Nigel KC8NHF/G8IFF <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Most people, I would imagine, build primarily as a means of saving money.
There's no point in building something if I can buy something similar for
less money.