On Sep 29, 2010, at 12:01 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> Tom is using a DigiKeyer II and K3 with RUMlog, uH Router and cocoaModem
> during his current stay in Rwanda.

Tom was using RUMped, not RUMlog at 9X0TL.  And µH Router was never in the
loop; RUMped talks directly to the digiKeyer II.

The 9X0TL Quicktime link that I'd posted earlier today was an interesting
software Rube Goldberg exercise by itself.

The transmit RTTY tones (using the K3 FSK KY command, I believe) come from the
K3's monitor.  The RTTY receive tones that you hear come from cocoaModem's
Aural Monitor.  Tom uses a wideband waterfall to tune in his stations.  For
aural monitoring, clicked signals in cocoaModem are filtered and converted to a
single fixed RTTY tone pair, no matter where he'd clicked.  The video comes
from the Quicktime screen capture function.

The "roger beep" that you hear occurs when the cocoaModem "click buffer"
transitions from the "tape loop" to real time data (I turn it off myself, but
Tom prefers it on).

Sometime within that Quicktime movie, Tom switched off the narrow filter in the
cocoaModem aural monitor, and you can hear the entire cacophony of people
calling him (thank goodness for sufficient dynamic range :-).  He turned the
narrow aural filter back on and regained sanity before the end of the movie.

Tom has posted a picture of him in his Rwanda "shack" (K3, 600W amp, MacBook
Pro, digiKeyer II) here:

http://dl2rum.de/dl2rum/DL2RUM_Home.html

73
Chen, W7AY