John Chappell G3XRJ wrote:

>> My K3 is srl 46xx and the only way I get the quiet background I desire
>> is to turn the AGC off.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Problem solved.
>
> When I built my K3 and came to the Owner's Manual setup procedures on
> Page 51 - 'S-Meter and RF Gain control'. Not being in possession of an
> XG2 I took the statement 'calibration is normally adequate using the
> factory settings' at face value - and didn't calibrate the rf gain.

It's probably just as well that you didn't do the RF Gain Calibration.  The
most recent versions of the Utility (e.g. 1.3.9.xx) were not properly saving
calibration parameters.  I went through many pushups discovering this with
#4717...not far past your #46XX.

If you do get an XG2, be sure to download the latest K3 Utility (at least
1.3.10.11 or later) which correctly saves the parameters.  If anyone else
has done RF Cal recently (i.e. in September), you should redo it with the
new Utility when released.

73,  Bill