I was just in a pileup on 17-meters trying to work PJ4D on RTTY.

He of course was working split, so I tuned him in on 18.100 with VFO A and
locked it.

I don't have a second receiver, but do use an SDR-IQ as a panadapter so I could
see the mob up 1-4 KHz.  Before joining the fray I decided to check the audio
drive level so I hit the "Test" (Mode ^) button.

Apparently, as is often the case, I didn't hold it long enough the first time
and it took a second try.  Completing the test I returned to TX normal, ready
to rock-n-roll.

The problem was, I didn't hear him anymore.  After some head (and other parts
of the anatomy) scratching I noted that my "locked" VFO was now on 18.100450.

I've since determined that while in "Split" and "Data" mode, by pressing "Mode
Up" --- by mistake in this case---  the radio attempts to change to CW but
can't because split doesn't allow it, but before figuring this out, it inserted
a 450 Hz offset, which is the beat note that I use on CW.

In the meantime, he went to working EU only.  Almost as frustrating as calling
and calling one of the PJs last night without success and moments after QSYing
to a clearer transmit frequency, having him answer me.