Wes,

I agree with you - leave the pitch at the sidetone pitch and use the VFO
to tune the desired station to that pitch is the best solution.
However some operators do it differently.  There are many adherents of
RIT and XIT.  I understand their use for stations that are 'running',
but for normal QSOs it is not required on a transceiver that can shift
transmit frequency easily with the VFO knob.  Zero-beat the station to
be in QSO with and take up less bandspace.  If everyone operated like
that, there should be no need to change the pitch of the "peaking" point
- it would be whatever the sidetone pitch is set to.

73,
Don W3FPR