Jim,

I am not sure about "the hang of this forum" thing.  It is just public
email where we try to help each other with Elecraft products.

You may have a problem with that wattmeter rather than the K2.  Analog
metered wattmeters are notoriously inaccurate, especially at low power
readings.  What range are you using on the wattmeter?  The thing about
these analog wattmeters (including the much revered Bird) is that they
have their accuracy specified as a percentage of the full scale
reading.  That means if you are using a 100 watt scale and the specified
accuracy is 10%, the reading can be off by as much as 10 watts - and
that is true *anywhere* on the scale.  Also, wattmeters can be frequency
dependent.

A normal K2 has more gain at 40 and 30 meters than on the other bands.
Given the way the K2 controls power, you should have less current drawn
for any given power output on those bands.  If that is not true, then
the most likely place to look for the problem is in the Low Pass Filter
for the bands drawing excessive current, or the winding of T4.  Also be
sure Z1 and Z2 are in place and properly soldered.  You might want to
check the actual construction against the manual sections that detail
the winding of T4 and its installation.  If you do not have the manual,
you may download it from www.elecraft.com.

73,
Don W3FPR