Hi Jason:

You should definitely get less than a 4:1 SWR when using a decent dummyload. Something closer to 1:1 or 1.1:1 would be expected.

Here are a couple suggestions IF you can implement them:

1) Check the real resistance of your dummyload!!! It should be between 45 and 55 Ohms. If not, MAKE a new one from a couple 100 Ohm 2W (or 3W) metal oxide resistors. If you can't find metal oxides locally, use a couple 100 Ohm 2W carbon comp or metal films.

2) Do away with ANY coax between the rig and the dummyload...! Several times I've seen even moderate coax length 'get in the way' of even semi-accurate SWR null adjustments. If your dummyload will allow it, directly connect it to the back of the ATU via a BNC to (whatever) adapter. If not, use the very shortest length of coax you can achieve.

3) Use an analog meter when setting the null... of course it will have to be pretty sensitive... if you don't have one, use whatever you have.

4) Ensure that the null you're seeing occurs at a point which is NOT at one of the two tuning extremes of the cap (not at fully open or fully closed). If it is, then you have a problem elsewhere... often in the transformer of the directional coupler.

Good luck,

Tom Hammond   N0SS