Hi
I have the same problem, but with a twist to it. I even got Elecraft to send me
a replacement KAT3, but it did not help anything.

By chance I tried one of the older configurations (call it config B) and then
all of a sudden the ATU worked excellent (able to tune a 80m loop and a 17m
dipole on all bands from 80m thru 10m ... Yes even the dipole!... Both antennas
use 450 ohm ladder and 4:1 baluns. By the way, now the ATU works better than
ever before. It never before was able to tune the 17m dipole on 30m, 40m or 80m
- but now it is!

BUT now with config B something weird happens when the rig is switched ON. The
TX symbol flashes like in test mode, but there is no audio and the TX LED goes
on when keyed. I have not found any other way to get out of that mode than to
make the EE Init reset. Having done the EE Init I can only make the rig "see"
the KPA3 and the KAT3 by loading a config file.

If I try manually to use CONFIG to select ATU Auto I hear relays clicking, when
selecting KPA3 I dont hear any fans going in the fan test and leaving the KPA3
in norm and leaving the CONFIG it seems that the rig doesn't see either KAT3 or
KPA3. As soon as I load config B all works again and the ATU too ... Until next
time I switch ON the rig. Then it needs another EE Init and config load.

If I load config A the ATU doesn't work, but now the rig can be switched OFF
and ON without problems.

I can not see any difference between config A and B and I don't know why the
rig configuration should influence the functioning of the ATU. Also my K2 works
fb with its ATU. So the problem is not in the hardware or antenna, but
something else.

Elecraft is looking into it.

OZ4UN
Poul-Erik