Thanks to everyone for your tips.  I had a lot of helpful advice, on and off
the reflector, and all is sorted out and understood now.

FWIW, I re-calibrated the 4MHz reference oscillator using the N6KR method
and my frequency display is now only 10hz off WWV.  I'm very happy with
that.  This is about the 3rd or 4th pass using this method. On the final
pass,  I noticed 2 things about my K2 and taking them into account helped
reduce the error:   firstly, the spot tone of my K2, set for 600hz, is
actually 610hz, not 600hz.   Secondly, when entering CAL FCTR mode after
zero beating WWV on sideband,  the beat tone drops  10hz.  I found reference
to this in another posting, but somehow missed it the first few times
around.  It's easy to account for once you notice it.  There is some drift
(+/-40hz or so) as the K2/100 heats up after long overs @100W, but that is
easily compensated for while I'm operating, now that I know how (thanks
Tom!).

The sideband filters  are now well tuned and the audio reports are good - no
longer "muffled".  Adjusting OP1 was easy in the end.  I found that very
small changes in frequency, just 25-50hz, make a  big difference to the
sound of the transmitted audio. I had to listen carefully and experiment to
get the audio profile I wanted.  Adjusting the OP1 SSB filter for optimum
transmit audio made the received audio a little "sharp" for my taste, so I
did as has been suggested elsewhere and set FL2 to OP1 and adjusted the
audio passband of that filter to accentuate the lows and reduce some of the
highs.  I keep FL2 in on receive and now I have great audio on both RX and
TX.

Thanks again for everyones' input.  I would never have completed this
project without the support and collective know-how of this group.  The
K2/100 is sitting on my dest here, but I still can't really believe I've
done it.

73,

John
VK7JB