John,

Is this a relatively new KPA100, or did you purchase an older kit from
someone who never built it?

The reason I ask is because the older T/R switch design had elements
that could cause parasitic oscillations near 40 meters, and often was
most noticeable on SSB.

If your KPA100 has blue toroid cores for L16 and RFC1, then it is the
new design.

If you have the new design, then did you fasten the shield directly to
the SO-239 jack using the two solder lugs as instructed?  These are
important.

Make a check - remove the KPA100 from the base K2, but keep it connected
- in other words turn the KPA100 upside-down on a book or box to the
right of the K2.  Then try your SSB operation again (into a dummy load
please, antennas are not consistent).  If it works OK with the KPA100
upside-down, then look for causes of coupling from the KPA100 into the
base K2, but if it still mis-behaves, we can look at other things.

73,
Don W3FPR