I concur Roy; something has changed again in the way mic gain is handled
with this firmware iteration.  Prior to 4.14, I had to leave mic gain set to
4 or 5 and bias to low.  Those settings gave me 5-7 bars ALC on normal voice
peaks.  This is with the MH2 hand mic.  After 4.18, I noticed that I had to
turn mic gain up to 15 in order to achieve the same results.  Now with 4.21,
mic gain has to be reduced to 5 in order to keep the ALC happy.

One thing that I'm not sure about however is the difference in setting
required for SSB and FM.  When testing using FM, I have to increase mic gain
by 50% to see a similar ALC readout.  I don't remember if it behaved as such
prior to 4.14.  Can anyone pse confirm?

73 de James K2QI

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Roy Morris <w4...@carolina.rr.com> wrote:

> The 4.21 firmware seems to have normalized the mic gain setting.  On 4.18 I
> had to reduce the mic gain and reduce TXG VCE to 0dB.  I have left TXG VCE
> at 0dB and all is still well.  APF appears to work fine now.  It is very
> smooth and no artifacts.  Thanks.  Roy Morris  W4WFB

73 de James K2QI
President UNARC/4U1UN