Mike WA1SEO wrote:
I recently assembled and XG1 calibrator and began checking some of my
equipment.  4 out of 5 radios that I own indicated an S9 signal, however, my
K2 did not.  It registered an S5-S6.  A friend of mine who borrowed my K2
indicated the receiver seemed to be a bit weak.

I tweaked L34 (which was set properly) and tried peaking L1 and L2, which
were also set properly.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something simple before I begin to check some
other items.  The receiver appears to work properly in all other respects
and to be truthful, I hadn't noticed it being a bit weak, but upon comparing
it with an A/B switch, it lacks some sensitivity.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

You can't get an idea of the absolute sensitivity of your K2 looking at the
S-meter, Mike. You can adjust the S-meter to indicate anything you want from
any signal you want. A blockbuster signal can be S1, our you can adjust it
to make a signal down in the noise S9!

Look up "Receiver Sensitivity Testing" (Page 4 of the XG1 manual) and
"Signal-to-Noise and MDS Calculations (page 5) for instructions on how to
use the XG1 to measure receiver sensitivity. If you don't have the manual,
you can download it from www.elecraft.com

That procedure will allow you to determine the signal-to-noise ratio and the
minimum discernable signal (MDS) of your K2. You can use the same procedure
to evaluate other receivers for comparison.

Ron AC7AC