James,

The only answer I can give is "experiment".  There is no setting that is
good for any particular mode, but the setting of NB/NR must be
customized for the noise source.  That noise source will vary from
location to location, and from time to time.
The best I can offer is to familiarize yourself with the controls and
theory of operation for both NB and NR and use that knowledge to combat
whatever form of noise you are encountering at your location.

In other words, there is no "magic bullet" - it depends more on the
noise source than on the K3 capabilities.

73,
Don W3FPR