Count down to thread closure...

USB is Serial comms by definition (Universal SERIAL Bus).  Coding for USB is
not a huge hassle for software developers, at all.  If it was, it never
would have been adopted as a standard in 1996 (almost 15 years ago).
Drivers aren't really a big issue, either, especially if you're just
starting out using it as a serial DB9 replacement.  I've voiced my vote for
a USB port before.  It opens up many other possibilities for use besides
just serial comms.  I realize there are other priorities, but if the other
rig manufacturers can do it, I have no doubt that Elecraft can.  My guess
it's just a matter of "when"