Hi Bob,

This is a subject that comes up on the reflector from time to time and
elicits a whole range of responses; from "my fans are totally silent",
to "my fans are really loud".  Intrigued by the range of opinions, I
did some research on this topic earlier this year.  It turns out that
there were two different brands of fans used in the K3.  Early units
used "Elina" brand fans, and later units used fans from "UTEC".  Spec-
wise, they are similar.  Practically, however, all the reports of loud
fans came from units with the "UTEC" fans.  If you're interested in
the details, you can search the archives for my email with the subject
"K3 fan noise, part XXLIV" on May 27, 2010.  Later, I was able to
compare rigs with both brands of fans side-by-side and confirmed that
the Elina fans were quieter.  (Search the archives for my email with
the subject "[K3] fan noise: new info" on July 2, 2010.)

But none of that is any immediate help to you.

Make sure the fans and their mounting plate sit flush and aren't
warped. I.e. check that you didn't inadvertently install a washer
where there shouldn't be one, and that the countersunk heads of the
long screws that hold the fans on are seated properly.  If everything
looks good there and you've carefully checked and confirmed that the
fan blades aren't touching anything as they turn (which you say you
have), it sounds like you might have one or two defective fans.   In
that case, a call to Elecraft or an email to k3supp...@elecraft.com
seems in order.

I consider the fans in my K3 to be moderately noisy, but they don't
make what I would call a "clicking" or "buzzing" sound.  The noise I
hear is a combination of a siren-like whine and a sound I can only
describe as "rough bearings".

73
--
Joe KB8AP