Adrian,

While that is a "fix", the actual problem is the level of RF in the shack.
If it creates problems such as that, it makes me wonder what other
problems may be created as well.
The antenna balance (and/or use of effective baluns), the proximity of
the antenna to the shack, and rf on the ground conductor will play a
part in the final result.  It may be that one must resort to connecting
a 1/4 wavelength wire to the station ground for each band of interest.
While that is not the most desirable solution, it can work for those
situations where nothing else works.

The basic problem actually exists at lower power, but does not "do bad
things" until the power is increased.

73,
Don W3FPR