On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 09:02 -0800, ab2tc wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am curious as to what this noise sounds like. I don't think I have any of
> it but it would be nice to be able to recognize it if someone in the
> neighborhood should get one. Could someone with the noise provide an audio
> clip? I can host the clip for anyone with limited options, although I think
> there is space in the "files" section.

If you have an older set of wireless headphones (infrared),  place the
wireless  transmitter in front of the tellie then turn the remote on,
you will get an earful of continuos "hash" in your ears.

That should give you an idea.

When you turn your head away from the screen, the noise is reduced,
(but the audio drops out because of line-of-site limitation of
infrared).

BTW:
My Sony (not a plasma) generates "hash" with my old headset but does not
cause interference to ham radio.
Because of the above, I bought a more recent headset that is not
affected with these problems.

I am almost deaf and need the headphones when CC is not on, to "hear"
the tellie.

72,
Ron, wb1hga
"we all get heavier as we age. That's because there's more information
in our heads"