Today I paid a visit to Walmarts TV department. I brought along my portable AM
radio. While tuned to a spot on the AM BC band, I walked along the row of
dozens of flat screen TVs. There must be at least 50 of them! Suddenly the
noise level jumped to a loud roar. I looked at the 42" set next to me and sure
enough, it was a plasma. I started checking every set. Every plasma produced
the loud QRM while every LCD/LED was quiet.
There are not many plasma sets left but every brand was horrible.
The noise sounds exactly like your typical power line noise but you can hear
the pitch change as the video scene changes. When the screen goes totally
black, like between commercials, the frequency changes greatly.
I ran the little radio around the screen and really couldn't tell that the QRM
was stronger at any given position.
I'm fairly certain now that what I'm hearing on 80m is a plasma tv from my
neighbor. Now I just have to figure out a way to approach them about replacing
it. I may end up buying them one!
Steve N4LQ