Hi James,

I'd have to say that your post and the links to what you consider
improvement firmly make the case for how subjective this is.  Some folks
simply cannot stand to listen to the "warbling" effect caused by the NR
algorithm moving around the center of the "passband" to match the speech
centers and reject the bands with noise only.  What you are asking for is
what they can't stand...  K2 NR has that sound.

The great problem of noise reduction design is the difference in the
individual GOALS of using NR.  For some, this is to remove the IRRITANT of
noise, and for others to remove the UNINTELLIGIBILITY caused by noise.  The
latter goal produces different methods than the former.  The former is
doomed from the start because people's hearing range differs with SOME wide
hearers intensely annoyed by high frequency noise, others used to listening
to 80 meter QRN in the summer may want reduction with ZERO loss of weak
signal, and others are very ANNOYED by reduction ARTIFACTS.

For me it's just like anything else going on in firmware, I hope Wayne works
on the stuff I want first, and that he keeps working on stuff.  My list does
not have NR improvement near the top.  That's because there is a limit to
what NR can do that does not mask very weak signals when it's on.  NB is
another story, and the t3-7 or t2-7 with sharp skirts effect on key clicks
has allowed me to copy many signals where copy was not otherwise possible.

I will have to agree with you on the volume issues, because I always NOTICE
it.  BUT, that falls in the IRRITANT category, not the INTELLIGIBILITY
category.  So I walk on by and wait for Lyle to figure out how to nullify
plasma noise.  I'm not holding my breath, but there really is a part of me
that thinks he might.

BTW, I turn NR *OFF* in contests, period.  There is not a single NR setting
that I cannot demonstrate a very weak signal loss, that occurs where the NR
starts to blend with the noise.  My ears, and everyone else's, will do a
better job than the NR at that point.  And particularly, now that we have
APF for CW, hearing that tiny peep is all the clue I need to zero in the APF
and get it out of the noise.  NR on, and I don't even know it is there.

I don't think anyone really knows (federal court worthy peer-reviewed
scientific proof) how our ears hear discrete signals that are blending in
the noise, but I have a suspicion.  How many reading this have been driving
home after a weekend CW contest and hear CW in the road noise?  Our brains
have some kind of heuristic anticipatory mechanism.  It's the very one that
allows me to copy the "QRP" in DL5QQ/QRP and struggle with the rest to my
utter annoyance as he sends the /QRP over and over again.  (Talk about
irritating.)

However it works, it is more effective than anything electronic by some
orders of magnitude, and NR strips out what makes it work at the very point
that the brain/ear makes the greatest difference. Others may disagree in a
contest, just because they want to operate in comfort.  That's fine by me,
just don't apply for a seat in our WFO NY4A efforts, where our getting ALL
the very weakest stuff is our score differential over the competion.  If you
work 2K+ contacts on 40m in the ARRL DX CW, you can be guaranteed that three
or four or five HUNDRED of those contacts are too-far-away QRP, radio-trash
crap antenna weak, or at the very edge of propagation where they hear your
1.5 kW above their noise, but their 100w and built-in -12 dB disadvantage
puts them firmly IN the noise.  Turning on NR in a CW contest can cost you
hundreds of QSO's at a competitive station.  ANYONE can work loud and medium
stations. Try hard and most can work moderately weak.  The last layer is
only solved by the human brain, and the SOUND of it is irritating and
tiring.

Our in-the-noise hearing is likely honed by millions of years hearing the
movement or breathing of a sabre-tooth tiger before it could spring.  In
that environment the "false positive" of my hearing CW in the road noise,
e.g. hearing a sabre-tooth when there really wasn't one, was easily
tolerated in favor of having one or two steps moving away before a real
tiger charged.

What a noise reduction designer is up against is nature honing something
absolutely essential for millions of years, vs analysis in a very limited
computing environment.  And up against a wild variation in customer taste
and tolerance for things audio.

I'd say that if a box makes something sound like you like it, don't toss it
until the new thing demonstrates what you like.  There is no natural law
that states that superior results for all problems will always be obtained
processing at IF in a K3.  They're doing it there because it fits in the
scheme of all they're trying to do, and the means is commercially limited.
On whole they've succeeded brilliantly, but there simply MUST be SOME things
they can't do as well that way.

73, Guy.