On 11/30/2010 6:53 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Now, if the NR algorithms could only come close to the "speech in noise"
> algorithms that are in my Phonak hearing aids, then that would be a
> great accomplishment - good speech fidelity combined with great noise
> reduction. - yes, it takes a short bit of time to determine what is
> noise and what is speech, but it is very effective - most often used in
> a noisy restaurant environment.

Yes, I too have Phonak digital hearing aids the VA gave me.  They are
very effective, and have 4 or 5 "programs" which adapt on the fly.  That
said, the "noise" they work in does not really resemble on-the-air power
line and similar noise.  Mainly, they help me sort out someone talking
to me from other voices in the background.  They do suppress wind noise
when driving, and will notch a fire truck or ambulance siren down to
tolerable levels.  They truly did change my life and my thanks to the US
Taxpayers for that, I think they run about $6K a pair.

If only I could get a cable that plugs into that tiny programming jack
the audiology clinic uses and plug it into the radio :-)

I've not found my K3 NR to be all that useful.  On CW, it does raise the
apparent S/N some, but the signal sounds "pinched" [best description I
can come up with] and if there is QSB, it seems to accentuate it.  APF
is far more useful for me.  I'm rarely on SSB, but when I am and use NR,
the speech seems to become distorted and far less intelligible.  After
playing around with it for awhile, I think I think there are too many
menu choices for my feeble mind.  OFF, LOW, HIGH might be better, or
perhaps ON and OFF?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org