Several years ago when the K2 modification was created by Wayne to implement a
raised cosine keying filter I installed it and both ran simulations and made
measurements of the resulting waveform, which agreed very closely. In fact, I
liked the result so much that I duplicated the circuit and modified my Omni 6
with it. I just sold that rig and feel good that the next owner will put a very
clean-keying rig out there in the future.

In private conversations with several good contesters over the years I have the
general impression that although none of them would intentionally modify their
rigs to splatter (neither on CW nor SSB), they regard a clicking/splattering
transmitter as creating the happy side effect of a virtual guard band on either
side of them in a contest.

I also notice that whenever I am running with the K2 or K3 other contesters
tend
to crowd me just a tad closer than I'm used to on one side or the other. It
annoys me. An unhappy side effect of exceptionally clean keying? Naw, more
likely just my weak, little-pistol signal!

Al  W6LX