> Waveform? When you have a 1 ms raise/fall time no way you
 > can shape the waveform so it doesnt click.

That's not the case.  If the first and second derivatives of
the power output are minimized, the waveform does not click.
There are many studies about bandwidth vs. rate of change in
digital modulation that will provide the information to show
that principle.

In the specific case of CW as long as the transitions from
the "rise" to the steady "on" state and from the steady "on"
state to the fall are properly shaped (first/second derivative
minimized) the apparent clicks will be minimized.

The traditional "feedback" ALC system almost guarantees clicks
on the *trailing edge* of the CW element.  Traditional ALC
attempts to maintain the output as the key is opened and will
increase system gain as the driving waveform starts to decay.
The output level will only begin to fall when the ALC gain
has reached maximum - at which point there will be a major discontinuity
in the waveform.  A properly designed feedback
ALC system would be incorporate sample and hold to maintain
steady system gain during the "ramp up" and "ramp down" parts
of the CW waveform to prevent the "corner sharpening."

Again, rise time controls the basic CW bandwidth but "clicks"
are a feature of discontinuities in the CW envelope.  Please
do not confuse the two.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV