Lenny,

Yes, this was a design "oversight" for the K2 - I will not call it a
problem, since the focus was for an HF transceiver that would do QSK
operation, and do it quite well.

Unfortunately, that goal is not consistent with those who use
transverters and mast mounted preamps.  The parameters relevant to VHF
operators and HF operators are different - and the K2 meets the HF
operators needs quite nicely.

I would steer those VHF operators who need to operate sequencers to the
PTT for CW article on my website (www.w3fpr.com).  As far as I know, it
is the best solution for VHF operators with external preamps and
amplifiers to contend with.

The original concept for the K2 being a good QSK CW transceiver for HF
operation breaks down a bit when the use of the K2 for an IF transceiver
for VHF/UHF operation is added.  I think my PTT for CW circuit
alleviates some of those problems - but then, I am biased.

One "advantage" for my circuit is that it relies on  the activation of
the PTT input to the K2 and not on a key closure.  I believe that any
circuit which relies on a key closure will shorten or eliminate the
first CW element - yes, my circuit can do that too, but it is much more
unlikely since the operator must first initiate the PTT line and then
begin keying.

73,
Don W3FPR