From: Bruce McLaughlin <bmcla...@bex.net>
To: 'Tommy Alderman' <alderm...@windstream.net>, elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Tue, Dec 7, 2010 15:55:36 GMT+00:00
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 and Palstar AT-AUTO

I use a Palstar auto tuner with My K-3.  It works very well.  Although I did
order it with the Kenwood cable, shortly after I received it Palstar sent me
a message saying that they had a batch of Kenwood cables which were
miss-wired and that I should send it back for a replacement.  However, I
never did because I also use the tuner with other radios and the Kenwood
cable would not work with them.  Furthermore, I found that it was quite easy
to simply hook it up with an RF cable and led it sample the signal and tune
itself.  I primarily use it on 80 meters with a G5RV antenna.  It also works
quite well on 40 with that antenna but I have a Mosley Pro 67B which I use
on that and higher bands and it does not require a tuner.

Unless you plan to buy a used tuner you will find that Palstar is not
currently selling any.  Apparently, they are coming out with a new model
after the first of the year.  From what I understand they had to stop
selling the current model because of a dispute with the designer of the unit
who has since left the company.

Bruce-W8FU